I have been working with the Multilingual stuff all day and I think I have it at a point where I’m OK with it. I simply needed to play around with the interface myself for a bit and get used to it. But I believe that I can say that it is the quirkiest part of Drupal that I have had to work with. But once I got a steady rhythm going I was able to knock out things pretty easily.
I also enabled the session option for Multilingual and set its priority to first. That way, I can use Panels to add the Language Switcher Dropdown to the main page. So, with the language specified on the account settings and the dropdown enabled, spanish speakers will get spanish first with the option to change the language from the main page. English speakers get the same options.