Themes, SEO and Aggregator items

Today I am working on getting my Prod site to a point where I can leave it up and running in a relatively functional state while I work on the real theming dev work in my sandbox. I’ll also begin working on some SEO stuff today for the prod site.

I guess that it is worth mentioning that while my Prod site does exist, I haven’t mentioned the URL  Nor the nature of the site. It isn’t really ready for prime time yet. It is close but not quite. and when I say that, I mean in a relatively workable state. The prod site itself will still take months before I am completely through with it. But soon it will be at a point where I’ll feel more comfortable with its availability.

I do plan on working on some SEO stuff today. If you want to learn about SEO, analytics and all that, just google the term. I have learned a lot from this (and the other two blogs I keep) blog and its very helpful info for Google and Bing. If you want to learn this stuff, start a WordPress blog. They are free and the experience has been a lot of fun.

So, I have a base Adaptive Theme subtheme enabled for the site. It is very bare, almost like the Stark theme, but fine for what I need right now. Now that I have that in place and I am comfortable with what those who might stumble on it may see, I’ll be working on the real theming in the sandbox.

And all that begs a question; how much do you really keep sand and quality in line? if you do it all manually, you might get a benefit from the repeated process of implementation. But it also means a lot of work. My ideas are based around refreshing quality from sand via a file copy of the VM files. I think i might script a copy. i’ll work out the details and post later.

Procedure – Upgrade Drupal Core from 7.18 to 7.19

Please note that this procedure has been written for my specific situation. I believe that it is applicable to others and may provide insight to your situation but it will most likely not match what you have exactly so please be cautious. Back things up and test in a dev/qual environment first! I have just finished it in Quality and it works fine.

  1. Back up everything
  2. Download the new core file
  3. Put site into maintenance mode
  4. Place it on the server and extract all the contents to /var/www/719/drupal-7.19
  5. In the newly extracted files delete the sites directory and all its subs.This is done because the upgrade is not going to replace anything in this directory
  6. Rrom a terminal window type:          yes | cp -r /var/www/719/drupal-7.19/* /var/www/html
  7. Note that the destination folder of html is my doc root and all the drupal folders/files are located right underneath this. the yes | cp…. prefix is to let the system know to overwrite everything in the destination. since sites is the only directory that we want to keep and we have removed it from the source, this will be fine.
  8. Run update.php by navigating to http://…yourdrupalsitename/update.php
  9. Follow the instructions for this closely
  10. navigate to reports, available updates and check the version of your core
  11. take the site off of maintenance mode
  12. check different things on the site to ensure a smooth upgrade has occurred.
  13. that should just about do it.

adding two new modules for multilingual capability

i have been thinking about using this blog as a change management record and am starting now. change management for production systems is critical in a biz environment. everybody like to cowboy their changes through because it is easy. but it will bite you sooner or later. or worse, bite your client. and when clients lose money, you will too. so, follow the BPs of change management and document your changes. i have a doc that we used at a client of mine where i worked for several years that I will use. but for now, i’m just going to post it. all my prod changes will be filed under the subject Production Change Request.

I plan on posting one of these whenever I make ANY change to the Prod server.

production change request:

  1. install entity translation module and title module on host docresource.org
  2. installed in quality prior to prod
  3. also disabling: content translation, Multilingual content, Multilingual forum, Synchronize translations in prod and qual in order to pursue the entity translation method.

completed 1/19/13 – no issues

SSL on Production

I was able to install the SSL cert on prod in less than 5 minutes. that is the advantage of setting up a quality environment that truly matches prod; you can make the prod changes so easily and help keep your prod environment pristine.

now back to the multilingual stuff. i hate to get distracted but i really hate creds in clear text. ssl had to be done.